Anyone else love to have overnight guests but also find it challenging?
Too much stuff, not enough time or space are some of the more common obstacles.
For me it’s a lack of time and space – I have one room set up as a bedroom and one bathroom.
It gives me great pleasure to be able to offer my bedroom to my guests (ha ha only because it doesn’t happen very often!) and borrow a mattress from a friend for me to sleep on.
But what about the stuff…
Part of the beauty of keeping less stuff is that it is very easy to condense belongings together and make space for guests. It also helps greatly with time management as it’s quick to do.
Think about this:
- The 80/20 rule, on average we only use about 20% of our stuff, 80% of the time. Having a good hard look at the 80% is a great way to make space
- Having drawers stuffed full. If we find it hard to get things in and out, we are less likely to tidy away and making space for guests is out of the question
- Keeping things ‘just in case’ – this usually pushes out the stuff we want and need!
The easiest way to keep on top of it:
- Use every opportunity to do quick mini declutters
- Only filling drawers and shelves about 50% (max 75%) makes it so easy to keep the areas organised
- Don’t let your ‘just in case’ items overtake your home. Too much stuff and we are unlikely to be able to find something when we need it rendering the item useless anyway
By following these rules I am able to give 25/50% of my bedroom and bathroom storage to my guests…